Re: Another translation posted

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Wed Jun 17 2009 - 06:09:31 CDT

    Hello,

    Magda Danish had written:
    > http://www.unicode.org/standard/translations/hungarian.html

    Joó Ádám has written:
    > First of all, please substitute all instances of ‘az’ with ‘a’
    > preceding the word Unicode. The former is an article standing before a
    > word starting with a (pronounced) vowel, while the latter is standing
    > before a (pronounced) consonant – same like a and an. Therefore
    > ˈjuːnɪkoʊd must be preceded by ‘a’.

    Do the Hungarians indeed pronounce "Unicode" that way?
    I do not know much about Hungarian, but as far as I know,
    an "U" is never pronounced as /juː/, in that language.
    Indeed, most European languages (including my mother tongue,
    German) have /u/ or /y/ for an initial "U".

    Hence, I guess, Dr. Gábor Hosszú has put those "az" in front
    of the "U"s, for good reasons.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz