Re: Another translation posted

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 20:00:27 CDT

    On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Jonathan Rosenne<jr@qsm.co.il> wrote:
    > Of course the translator should translate Unicode according the habits and needs of his language. For example, in Hebrew it would be יוניקוד or יוּנִיקוׁד rather than Unicode (http://unicode.org/standard/translations/hebrew.html).
    >
    > I don't see why translations into languages that use the Latin script should be disadvantaged.

    Because adopting local names as is is a consistent easy rule that
    usually avoids the questions of pronunciation and correct spelling of
    that pronunciation. I can talk about Petäjävesi, Finland and no one
    has to wonder about my transliteration or have trouble searching for
    that name in English text or identifying which city we're talking
    about. Do you write Reading, Kansas differently from Reading,
    Massachusetts in Hebrew? I'd lay good money that they're pronounced
    differently, but only a Kansan familiar with Massachusetts would know
    for sure.

    --
    Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.