questions about CJK Strokes

From: Leonardo Boiko (leoboiko@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2010 - 14:36:14 CDT

    Hi,

    Is there some documentation I’m missing for the CJK Strokes range? If
    I’m missing something obvious, would someone be so kind as to point me
    to it?

    I’m looking in particular for:

     - Meanings of each capital letter that’s used to compose their names
    (HZG, HPWG and so on).
     - Relationship of said stroke-components with the traditional
    Principles of Yong/yǒngzì bāfǎ/ eiji happō[1].

    I managed to more or less understand the logic by scaving information
    from the web and gazing intently at U31C0.pdf . But I was a bit
    surprised that I couldn’t find official documentation in the Book (ch.
    12 has but a single paragraph), nor in the index, annexes, FAQ or
    elsewhere.

    According to wikipedia[2][3], this is what the capital letters mean,
    and (I guess) how they relate to yǒngzì, as far as I can tell (use a
    monospaced font to see the table):

    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |Yǒngzì|Chinese |Unicode|Unicode|
    |number|popular |CJK |number |
    | |name |stroke | |
    | | |letter | |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |1 |diǎn 點 |D |31D4 |
    | | | | |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |2 |héng 橫 |H |31D0 |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |3 |shù 竪 |S |31D1 |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |4 |gōu 鉤 |G |- |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |5 |tí 提 T |T |31C0 |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |6 |piě 撇; |P?¹ |31D2? |
    | |wān 弯 |W?¹ |-?³ |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |7 |duǎn piě|P?¹ |31D2? |
    | |短撇 | | |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |8 |nà 捺 |N |31Cf |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    | | | | |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |- |折 zhé² |Z |- |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |- |斜 xié² |X |- |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |- |?³ |Q |31E3 |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    |- |?³ |B |- |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+
    | | | | |
    +------+--------+-------+-------+

    An hyphen (-) means this stroke is not present in the traditional yǒngzì scheme,
    or that there is no independent Unicode codepoint for it (but its
    capital letter is used as a component of other CJK stroke names).

    Questions:

      • (¹) How are yǒngzì strokes #6 and #7 related to CJK Strokes
        letters W and P? At first I thought #6 = W and #7 = P, but then I
        noticed SWZ (U+31D8) and other -W- strokes don’t match this.
        Perhaps #6 and #7 are both unified in P, and W means something
        else?

        Further, stroke components lacking codepoints (G, Z) seem to be
        modifications of other basic strokes (kind of like combining
        characters). Since there is no CJK STROKE W, I suppose it’s also
        a “combining stroke”. But if it’s different than wān, what’s the
        W for and what it represents?

      • (²) These names were extracted from ja.wpedia[3], are they
        correct?

      • (³) Where are B and Q from and what do they mean?