Re: questions about CJK Strokes

From: Leonardo Boiko (leoboiko@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 28 2010 - 09:34:12 CDT

    Thanks Andrew, Christoph!

    On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 06:02, Andrew West <andrewcwest@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>  - Relationship of said stroke-components with the traditional
    >> Principles of Yong/yǒngzì bāfǎ/ eiji happō[1].
    >
    > They go beyond the traditional stroke classification as they cover all
    > characters, including some with rather unusual stroke types.

    I understand that, and the traditional 永字 classification is clearly
    flawed. It’s still widely use in shūfǎ/shodō instruction though, so I
    think a contrastive comparison of it with the Unicode classification
    would be nice to have. Of course, in my very humble opinion there
    should be an explanation like that of n3063.pdf in the book to begin
    with =)

    It seems like yǒngzì #6 and #7 would both be P (an unification that is
    not without precedent; despite #7 being shorter and straighter, I’ve
    seen several diagrams that just use the same name for both). The
    other 6 yǒngzì strokes all seem to have one-on-one correspondences
    with CJK Strokes letters, as per table above.

    W/彎/wān/curved apparently is unrelated to #6 (which, confusingly, is
    also called 彎 on occasion… piě is a better name IMHO). Unicode W is
    used whenever there’s a curve… except for SWZ? Earlier I was looking
    at glyphs from the WenQuanYi font, which has SW straight (erroneously,
    I guess). But in the case of SWZ, even the Unicode example is
    completely straight, so I don’t really get its name.

    --
    Leonardo Boiko