Re: Latin Script

From: Tulasi (tulasird@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2010 - 19:31:45 CDT

    It seems I made a minor mistake on "classic Latin script"
    According to link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Latin_alphabet
    J U W are not included in "classic Latin script".

    Tulasi

    From: Tulasi <tulasird@gmail.com>
    Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:53:05 -0700
    Subject: Re: Latin Script
    To: vanisaac@boil.afraid.org
    Cc: Edward Cherlin <echerlin@gmail.com>, unicode@unicode.org, Mark
    Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>, Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de>,
    Jonathan Rosenne <jr@qsm.co.il>

    Actually, if I do not see letters/symbols along with names, in some
    cases I cannot recognize. I am not a typographer either.

    So like
    Edward -> Close, but not quite. Consider LATIN SMALL LETTER PHI (ɸ)
    it would be great should you please post both name & letter/symbol
    associated with the name.

    Van -> Do you want to consider Y and Z as not Latin letters, because
    they were borrowed from Greek

    I din't think Latin speakers borrowed. From my memory hole they had
    adopted from Greek. And since this adoption was the work of true Latin
    speakers all ALL CAPS, i.e., A B C ... ... ... Z are known to be
    "classic Latin script". Also see the email by Jonathan Rosenne.

    If you read Edward's email he highlighted on chronology (of adoption
    from different scripts).

    Did true Latin speakers adopt LATIN SMALL LETTER PHI (ɸ) to Latin script?
    Or was it done very recently after Unicode was created?

    May I ask Van please,
    can you post both names & symbols/letters that you referred in your email?
    Also please show how how GREEK SMALL LETTER PHI looks like.

    This will help me to understand!

    Thanks,
    Tulasi