Re: Bengali Script

From: Javier Sola (lists@khmeros.info)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2010 - 21:15:43 CDT

    As a matter of fact, it is not Bengalí, it is Bangla language and Bangla
    script (if you ask a Bangladeshi in English). Bengalí (English
    phonetical understanding of the word Bangla) is what it was called
    during the colonial period, but now they have reverted to the original
    form. The reference organization for Bangladesh is the Bangla Academy,
    and the reference book is the Bangla Academy Dictionary.

    The number of characters would be the same, as it is the same language,
    with some variation on usage of vocabulary (words exist in both, but are
    more used in one than the other).

    The number of characters should be the one stated in Unicode, plus a few
    signs that are common to all Indic languages (the dandas). All Bangla
    can be written using Unicode.

    Javier