RE: Reasonable to propose stability policy on numeric type = decimal

From: John Dlugosz (JDlugosz@tradestation.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2010 - 12:04:54 CDT

    > I think you could treat the Han digits the same way: In some of the
    > Chinese news corpora I work with, the ten Han digits are frequently
    > used Western-style, especially for years, phone numbers, and other
    > identifiers.
    >
    > - John D. Burger
    > MITRE

    I don't know Chinese, but the various newspapers and magazines laying around tend to show dates using positional notation with Han ideograms, for years and two-digit months and days. In writing a date/time library, I made it support national digits for output, so it could write out dates this way. Yes, it has to deal with scattered code points and does not even assume one code point per numeral. It's reasonable to suppose that the same format might need to be scanned. People might not type it that way simply because they keyboard shows digits easily available, but in slurping in a news story or email, it might exist that way.

    The point is, the code already can't assume contiguous code points.

    --John

    TradeStation Group, Inc. is a publicly-traded holding company (NASDAQ GS: TRAD) of three operating subsidiaries, TradeStation Securities, Inc. (Member NYSE, FINRA, SIPC and NFA), TradeStation Technologies, Inc., a trading software and subscription company, and TradeStation Europe Limited, a United Kingdom, FSA-authorized introducing brokerage firm. None of these companies provides trading or investment advice, recommendations or endorsements of any kind. The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.