RE: Phishing and enforcing Confusables.txt

From: CE Whitehead (cewcathar@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2010 - 22:33:50 CST

    Hi, according to

    http://www.icann.org/en/general/idn-guidelines-20jun03.htm

    the following is a "should;" I guess it's not a "must" (correct me if I am wrong):

    "5. In implementing the IDN standards, top-level domain registries should, at least initially, limit any given domain label (such as a second-level domain name) to the characters associated with one language or set of languages only."

    http://www.iana.org/domains/idn-tables/
    lists characters and character treatment rules for different languages for top-level registrars; however I see nothing for Telugu or Kannada . . .

    (that's to come I suppose)

    ICANN accredits registrars; see:
    http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/accredited-list.html

    And you have a right to register problems with accredited registrars with icann if you can't resolve them with the registrar according to the following:

    http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/accreditation.htm

    One note: for Arabic there are two sets of Indic digits with some digits being identical; both sets of Indic digits are allowed which can thus lead to the registration of confusables (I mentioned this before; since the alphabets are essentially the same you can have banuk1.com with an Eastern 1 in one language confusable with banuk1.com with a Western 1 in Arabic itself; see:
    http://www.iana.org/domains/idn-tables/tables/xn--mgberp4a5d4ar_ar_1.0.html
    "4.Numbers
    In the Arab world, there are two sets of numerical digits used:
    I.From U+0030 (Digit Zero) to U+0039 (Digit Nine)
    Mostly used in the western part of the Arab world (al-maghrib al-arabi).
    II.From U+0660 (Arabic-Indic Digit Zero) to U+0669 (Arabic-Indic Digit Nine),

    Mostly used in the eastern part of the Arab world (al-mashriq al-arabi).
    Hence, both sets should be supported in the user interface and both are folded to one set (Set I)
at the preparation of internationalized strings (e.g., "stringprep") phase."

    Best,

    --C. E. Whitehead
    cewcathar@hotmail.com