Re: Phishing and enforcing Confusables.txt

From: Shriramana Sharma (samjnaa@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2010 - 22:57:23 CST

    Hello and thanks for all that info. However, the question stands, see below:

    On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:03 AM, CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > "5. In implementing the IDN standards, top-level domain registries should, at least
    > initially, limit any given domain label (such as a second-level domain name) to the
    > characters associated with one language or set of languages only."

    Apart from that "at least initially" stuff, which indicates that it
    may change in the future, this really does not solve the problem or
    answer the question. I'll forgo the examples i gave previously as they
    involved mixed-script text.

    Now even *without* mixing scripts, examples can be provided as అరగ.com
    (all in Telugu) and ಅರಗ.com (all in Kannada). What is desired is that
    if the Telugu version has been first registered *anywhere in the
    world*, the Kannada version should be prohibited from being registered
    *everywhere in the world*, or vice versa with the scripts.

    Which leads me to note that *somehow*, Confusables.txt is missing a
    full-fledged confusables mapping between Kannada and Telugu. Of the
    construed example given above, it is obvious that RA and GA are almost
    identical between the scripts but Confusables.txt does not list them
    at all!

    This is a serious lacuna, IMHO, which should be rectified.

    Shriramana Sharma.