Re: Localizable sentences (from Re: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode)

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 05:13:39 CST

    On Friday 28 January 2011, Andrew West <andrewcwest@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Alternatively, the English-speaking person could transmit "Where can I buy a meal without any gluten in it please?" in English from their device to the Italian-speaking person's device, which would automatically translate the question into Italian; and then the Italian-speaking person would send a reply in Italian from their device to the English-speaking person's device which would automatically translate the response into English.  A flexible system like this might even allow users to communicate using phrases and sentences beyond the fixed number of standard localizable sentences envisioned by William.

    Well, that would be ideal. Yet could it be made to work now? I suggest that it could not. The thing is, I am suggesting something that is limited, yet useful within its limitations, yet could work now and could be useful now and could be extended as new needs are found. The plane 7 codepoint for a localizable sentence would be like a primary key to a database. There would be no need for language translation algorithms to be involved. The translations would have been made previously by experts, translated into each language by a native speaker and verified for correctness by the companies producing the databases.

    William Overington