Re: ligature usage - WAS: How do we find out what assigned code points aren't normally used in text?

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 06:36:22 +0300

12/09/2011 20:29, Philippe Verdy wrote:

> I see those ligatures applied in Chrome v.13.0.782.220 over Windows 7
> SP1 French, just when reading this email in Gmail which renders it with
> the stock Arial font of Windows (no webfont used). My locale preferences
> in the browser and in my Gmail profile are first in French (France),
> then English (US).
>
> Zoom in, you'll see that these ligatures are rendered by default. Still
> you can select the individual letters in "fi" or "fl" or "ffi" or "ffl",
> copy-pasting to another document from the browser generates 2
> characters, and a DOM inspection of the HTML document with the
> Developers tools shows that there are affectively two letters in the
> HTML document (and no ZWJ in the middle).

So how did you conclude that there are any ligatures? As far as I can
see, the fi and fl ligatures in Arial are identical in appearance with
the corresponding two-letter combinations, and ffi and ffl ligatures do
not exist in Arial.

If it looks like two characters, walks like two characters...

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/