Re: SignWriting

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:47:27 +0200

2013/4/22 Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>

> Hansel and Gretel would never have found a Burger Palace without
>
>> a nice big billboard! Thus this shouldn't be underrated.
>>
> So I must admit that I often find the wit hiding behind such cultural
> references to be lost on me, or at least far-fetched.

Me too, I don't understand what this (supposed) joke is refering to, we see
the limits of local cultural references that don't cross language
boundaries. I just understand it in its core meaning which is about
advertizing banners or displays on shops, something I wrote about the
modern usage of calligrary in all scripts, not just alphabetic ones.
But I don't see why Hansel and Gretel need to be associated here, notably
when you cite a (supposed) US trademark that is not found abroad or only in
few places, and that may have not existed on the place and time where these
two personal characters were created.
Is there any citation of this trademark in the English version of the book
? If no, then the sentence "it should not be underrated" is probably wrong.