RE: Posting Links to Ballots (was: RE: Why blackletter letters?)

From: Deborah W. Anderson <dwanders_at_sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:19:21 -0700

To add to what Ken just posted (appended to this message):

If you want to see the proposal where a particular script or character was put forward, you can go to the draft repertoire document, and often find the proposal document numbers there.

For example, in the "Draft additional repertoire for ISO/IEC 10646:2014 (4th edition) (WG2 N4459)" (http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2013/13151-n4459.pdf), the new scripts are listed on pages 1 and 2 with the WG2 document number where they were proposed. ("Hatran", for instance, was proposed in WG2 N4324).

Once you have the WG2 number, you can go to the WG2 register and find it (http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/), or use a search engine to find the document. (Many WG2 documents are found in the Unicode document register, though you may need to search via the name of the script/characters, as not all entries in the Unicode document register contain the WG2 numbers in the title.)

The proposal document numbers also appear in the margin (in tiny print) of the draft repertoire doc, beside a given character/set of characters.
Malayalam Letter Archaic II, for example, on page 4 of the Draft additional repertoire of the 4th edition, was proposed in WG2 N4312. Some entries have WG2 numbers and/or UTC numbers. On page 6 of the 4th edition draft repertoire, it shows that the two-headed arrow symbols were proposed in WG2 N4318 = L2/12-303 (Unicode document registry).

Note: Some characters/scripts may have been modified from the original proposal after discussion and/or ballot comments.

Debbie Anderson