Re: Ancient Northwest Semitic Script

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 19:54:05 EST

    .
    Peter Kirk wrote,

    > Perhaps we should have a special block of "Epigraphical Alphanumeric
    > Symbols", to go with the "Mathematical...", for which epigraphers can
    > propose all manner of glyph variants which they might find useful, while
    > the rest of us ignore these blocks get on with encoding our texts using
    > the existing Hebrew, Latin etc blocks with markup for glyph variants.

    That's an approach which would probably be workable.

    Two reasons that variation selectors were mentioned are because
    we have some precedent for variation selectors being used for
    specific glyph forms for certain math symbol characters. And,
    variation selectors are supposed to be ignored in searching
    and indexing, more or less. ("Default ignorable")

    So, that approach might meet epigraphers' needs while enabling
    painless cross-variant searching, and still permit scholars to
    get on with encoding their texts as they see fit.

    Best regards,

    James Kass
    .