Re: Irish dotless I (was: Languages with letters that always take diacriticals

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 11:31:04 EST

    Carl W. Brown <cbrown at xnetinc dot com> wrote:

    > Language that do not have the dotless I have different casing rules.
    > To implement dotless I support for Irish we would have to change
    > Unicode.

    Only to the extent of adding a note that the casing rules for Turkish,
    where I and ı are a case pair, applied to Irish as well.

    But that isn't the case, and that isn't what Marion was talking about.
    The lower case form of
    U+0049 I is U+0069 i, in Irish as well as in most other Latin-script
    languages.

    The solution to Marion's problem is to increase awareness of the
    "proper" glyph design for lower-case i's in uncial fonts (and while
    we're at it, maybe we can get people to fix those horrible lower-case
    k's in non-native Fraktur fonts). It has nothing to do with character
    encoding, Unicode or otherwise.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/