Generic Unicode font handling

From: Suzanne Topping (stopping@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 16:20:20 EST

Hello again helpful readers;

Michael brings up some interesting points about fonts in the note below, and
I now have a related question.

I am helping set up a localization project for Win 95, 98, and NT software
which will be going into 20 languages (mostly European but also Simplified
Chinese, Greek, and Russian.) The .rc files currently specify the "generic"
system font MS Sans Serif. My understanding is that this is a Unicode font
which in theory can display all character sets, however, I'm feeling
skeptical as usual.

Can anyone comment on what problems we are likely to encounter if no font
changes are made? I'm assuming that many languages will be fine, but that a
few (such as the ones listed above) might have some problems. Ugliness as
Michael describes, if nothing else. Will the problems that occur in the NT
version be different than those in the other versions, given the level of
Unicode support it provides?

(Perhaps this sounds like a silly question; you are probably thinking "just
go ahead and change the darn font!" Unfortunately for this project, it is
not yet clear how well internationalized the components are, therefore, font
changes could be a major or a minor issue. I'm still trying to find out
where the fonts are defined, and until I know how easily changed they are, I
want to consider this as a risk.)

As usual, your tolerance of my ignorance is appreciated.

Suzanne Topping