Re: boustrophedon more current, not ancient?

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 16:10:27 EST

On 12/20/2000 02:26:24 PM Elaine Keown wrote:

>Literally 'boustrophedon' refers to how an ox plows a field.

And I think that has always been understood in the context of writing to
mean with successive lines running in alternate directions (regardless of
the direction in which lines follow one another in a paragraph). For
vertical text, the would mean TTB, BTT, TTB, etc. I have never heard of
boustrophedon used for vertical text.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>