Country names in native script

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 20:01:15 EST

    Hi all. In the spirit of "I can eat glass", but more usefully, I took a few
    minutes to convert my international postal addresses page to UTF-8:

      http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/postal.html

    and added some Greek and Cyrillic to Appendix II (the table of country
    names). Anybody who would like to send me more names in native script, I'll
    be happy to add them (with credit, of course). Corrections welcome too.

    Also, back on the "I can eat glass" page I started a new section near the
    bottom for "quick brown fox..." phrases for different languages, that show
    all the characters (or all the "special" characters) of a language. I have
    only a handful so far, some of them made up, others in actual use (e.g. in
    Sweden, Hungary). These were traditionally used in typewriter instruction,
    and more recently for testing software, fonts, keyboard input methods, etc,
    for suitability to a particular language. Contributions in this area would
    also be most welcome.

      http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html#quickbrownfox

    By the way, the German phrase is mine. I seem to have discovered a German
    word (the name of a town, Óechtringen) that has an acute accent. It's
    listed in the Postleitzahlenbuch:

      http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/misc/oechtringen.jpg

    I don't know if it's a mistake or what, but it's definitely a curiosity!
    My initial theory is that maybe it's a contraction for Ober-Echtringen?

    - Frank