help needed with adding new character

From: Jon Wilson (jon@phuq.co.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 11:27:06 EST

    Hi folks,

    I believe there is a character missing from the standard. I would like
    to apply to have it included, but I am a typography and Unicode novice,
    so I require some assistance with the application process.

    The character in question is a variant of "CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER
    A", commonly referred to as the "Anarchy" symbol. The bars of the A are
    longer than normal, extending to touch or even overlap the circle.

    See for example, http://www.4commongood.org/images/circlea.jpg

    This character has a distinct history and meaning, and I believe it to
    be suitable for inclusion in Unicode as a separate character from
    CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A.

    As I understand it, I need to do the following:

    1) Check that the character does not already exist within the Unicode
    standard. I don't think it does, but someone more familiar with it may
    wish to double check

    2) Establish that no existing characters would do as replacements. As I
    see it, CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A is different both typographically
    and semanticly.

    3) Decide on a name for the character.

    4) Determine a suitable code-page for the character

    5) Write a formal description of the properties and shape of the character.

    6) Create or find a computerised font representation of the character
    (preferably free)

    7) Collect suitable references to justify the inclusion of the character
    in the Unicode standard. A quick google search give many leads to be
    followed up in this area.

    In the spirit of anarchy, I am likely to pursue this application,
    whatever response I get! Equally in the spirit of anarchy, you are free
    to make provide whatever comments and assistance you wish, on any of the
    above points.

    Thanks,

    Jon