Re: [META] Should there be a separate public list for CLDR?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 08:57:18 CDT

    On 26/04/2004 10:47, Rick McGowan wrote:

    >Personally I would strongly oppose making a new public list parallel to
    >this one for locale discussions.
    >
    >My experience over several years of maintaining mail lists is that most
    >new lists have a week or two of postings and then languish. It is not worth
    >making a new list for *anything* unless a significant traffic pattern is
    >noted over a period of time pertaining to an area of speciality.
    >
    >This is not the case here. This has been mostly a meta-discussion about
    >where locale discussions belong. It does not appear that there is a need
    >for a separate general-public locale list here.
    >
    >(As usual, this is all my own opinion, and does not reflect any official policy.)
    >
    > Rick

    There has now been nearly a month to gain experience on this issue.
    During this time there have been several hundred postings related to
    locales. In just the last two days there have been more than 100. It is
    very tedious for those of working on character encoding issues to have
    to receive all of this irrelevant material.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)