Re: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin- >arabic

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 07:05:57 CDT

    Patrick Andries a écrit :

    >> So the change is more like Beijing -> Peking than Berlin -> Kitchener.
    >

    > Without a political change Constantinople would not have changed name
    > in a matter of days (at least as far as the officials were concerned).
    > In any case, it is not a transliteration problem (Beijing --> Pékin).

    [PA] I wrote this a bit too fast this morning (first message !). I
    believe the origin of Istanbul is a bit too obscure to decide whether it
    is due to a transcription or a complete name change. Just to confuse
    things further Konstantaniye was apparently used by the Turkish
    administration and a Greek form Istimboli is attested in the XIVth century.

    P. .A