Re: Chinese Simplified - How many bytes

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 16:02:18 CDT

    _Much_ more functionality than gettext... http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/

    > we are developing our product on QT which has its own translations. So I
    > dont want to use another library for translations. Also there is a class

    "Translations"? You mean locale data? While you can use ICU resource bundles for the
    localization/translation of your application, it does also carry locale data with
    language/region/culture-specific values and patterns and also names of related things (like months
    and currencies).

    ICU currently carries CLDR 1.1 data: http://www.unicode.org/cldr/

    You may not need both Qt and ICU - which one you need will depend on your environment and which
    functions you need, what level of standards support, etc.

    > QString which says its takes care of byte issues. Basically it is
    > overloaded and acts accordingly for two byte Unicode char set. Also it
    > states that QString supports Chinese(simplified). Am not getting how he
    > says that two bytes can support Chinese simplified. Is it true that, to
    > represent Chinese simplified programmatically, two bytes will do.

    John answered this. Also, for example: http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/docs/papers/forms_of_unicode/

    ICU User Guide: http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/userguide/

    Best regards,
    markus