Re: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin- >arabic

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 17:02:01 CDT

    On 06/07/2004 20:47, Raymond Mercier wrote:

    > Gerd Schumacher wrote
    > > I think, the underying meaning of Istimboli must be
    > > "town at the isthmus", which makes sense, indeed.
    > How does that work ? Do you mean
    > istim<ισθμος , bol<πολις ?
    >
    > Raymond Mercier

    This is more complicated than it looks. The Greek form Istimboli is
    impossible for the period as Greek had no [b] sound, for β was
    pronounced [v] except that later and perhaps already at that period μπ
    was pronounced [b] at least in foreign words. So is the Greek consonant
    cluster μβ, or μπ, or μμπ, or what? Also is the previous consonant
    cluster στ as transliterated, or σθ corresponding to "isthmus"? And then
    what are the Greek vowels?

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)