Re: Changing UCA primary weights (bad idea)

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 18:13:23 CDT

    Mark Davis wrote:
    > So the question is whether Sybase tailorings, such as German, will be
    > affected positively or negatively, and to what degree. If a German customer
    > is accessing a database full of European names, and expects to find Ę with
    > E, and Ą with A and Ż with Z and Ł with L, then he will be right *except*
    > for the last one.

    I am quite sure that DIN 5007 (the German collation standard) specifies an ordering like what John &
    Mark have proposed - for primary weights, strip accents etc. While it is still hard to implement
    something _completely_ conformant to DIN 5007 (try numeric sorting of roman numbers), it would be
    nice to get a bit closer.

    [I am still looking for my copy of DIN 5007. Insert complaint about such standards not being online.]

    Also, intuitively and personally, I would much prefer if ø and ö and such were all "interleaved"
    with o, for the reasons several repliers stated.

    I don't see eng and other such letters in John's list, by the way, which should ease Michael's
    concern about interleaving eng with e.

    As for sorting IPA, I think it's a non-issue for most of its users because they will see IPA in
    dictionaries which are sorted for the language, not for the pronunciation.

    Best regards,
    markus

    --
    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless otherwise noted.