RE: OpenType vs TrueType (was current version of unicode-font)

From: Gary P. Grosso (ggrosso@arbortext.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 10:10:44 CST

    Hi Antoine, others,

    Questions about OpenType vs TrueType come up often in my work, so perhaps the list will suffer a couple of questions in that regard.

    First, I see an "O" icon, not an "OT" icon in Windows' "Fonts folder" for some fonts and a "TT" icon for others. Nothing looks like "OT" to me, so are we talking about the same thing?

    Next, if I double-click on one of the "fonts" (files), I get a window which shows a sample of the font, at the top of which is the font name, followed by either "(OpenType)" or "(TrueType)". Can I believe what that says as indicative of whether this is truly OpenType or TrueType?

    Mostly how this comes up is we have customers ask if we support OpenType fonts, to which I reply with some variation of "it depends". I usually say the OpenType spec is complex, but we handle all the commonly-used fonts we know of, and follow it by saying that they can look in their Fonts folder (at the icon) to see some examples of OpenType fonts. So that is the background for my questions.

    Thanks,
    Gary

    ---
    Gary Grosso