Re: Arabic letters separated by markup

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 03:03:23 CDT

    On Tuesday, June 14, 2005 15:33Z Peter Constable wrote:
    > What strikes me is that the likelihood of someone wanting to colour
    > the alif portion of a lam-alif ligature is comparable to someone
    > wanting to colour the dot of an i or the cross-bar of a t. It's not
    > exactly an everyday need, I think. The fact that it is easy to
    > provide a markup representation of the former is coincidental.

    I do not know about the crossbar of a t. But about the dot of an i, I
    believe the same class of coincidence can occur if we consider that it can
    _also_ be shown (not written, i.e. meaning would be lost) as <U+0131,
    U+0307>.

    So no, that's not an everyday need.
    In fact, I really believe that nothing we discuss on this list *is* an
    everyday need: those needs are already fulfilled, and the vast majority were
    before Unicode went on.

    Antoine