Re: what does "internationalized" mean?

From: JFC Morfin (jefsey@jefsey.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 08:44:16 CDT

    At 07:56 20/06/2007, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:

    >-On [20070619 14:48], JFC Morfin (jefsey@jefsey.com) wrote:
    > > I was recently invited in an ad-hoc ISO meeting over a proposed NWIP
    > > concerning an internationalized version of the Country Codes (the
    > most used
    > > standard).
    >
    >Pardon me if I am missing the point, but what was the purpose of your email?
    >Was it merely to inform the people on this list or to request feedback on the
    >issue 'internationalized'? Because, to me, it was not very clear from your
    >email.
    >
    >If you could clarify/elaborate, please do so.

    This is a Unicode terminology question. Is the "internationalised
    (non-ASCII)" equivalence always acceptable in Unicode people's mind.
    For example, I do not understand "internationalised" as excluding
    ASCII. The IETF IDN routines do not exclude ASCII domain name. I just
    want to know if there is a common definition or not. If not that
    might create misunderstanding or unnecessary problem we can still
    correct since the NWIP is under circulation.
    Thank you
    jfc