Re: [unicode] Re: Siddham

From: mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Date: Wed May 21 2008 - 04:04:48 CDT

    Hi,

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 09:46:05 +0200
    Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@in-nomine.org> wrote:

    >-On [20080511 15:43], Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org) wrote:
    >>I see Michael Everson has a proposal for Siddham worked out, yet why is it
    >>not even in consideration for inclusion yet?

    I can find a chart of Siddam script on evertype site,
    but it's for the discussion and it doesn't have the
    coverpages to submit ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 officially.
    About the roadmap from evertype to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2,
    please ask it to Michael Everson. I'm not sure if he
    could collect the people to discuss with.

    >No one has even a vague idea of why not? :-\

    Please check Script Encoding Initiative's page:

            http://www.linguistics.berkeley.edu/sei/alpha-script-list.html

    It has a note about Brahmi-derivative scripts that
    unified Brahmi encoding. I'm afraid that the requirement
    of coded Siddam script can be different from that of
    other historical Brahmi-derivative scripts (e.g. Chalukya/
    BoxHeaded, Khotanese, Satavahana, Turkestani), because
    there are some archives by non-native Siddham users
    in Chinese and Japanese.

    According to SEI's liaison report to UTC on 2007,
            http://www.linguistics.berkeley.edu/sei/UTCReports/07243-ucb-liaison.pdf
    Stefan Baums and Andrew Glass are revising their
    preliminary proposal of Brahmi encoding.

    Regards,
    mpsuzuki