RE: square bullets added to unicode.

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2011 - 11:22:49 CST

    Your suggestion entails putting both a symbol-encoding and a Unicode-encoding cmap into a font. I have no idea what different software would do with that: some might recognize the Unicode cmap, other software might pick the one that's listed first in the font, other software might just reject the font.

    That's the font issue. I was thinking more about the data. For example I can search for the symbol-encoded Windings symbol, but now it would have two different representations.

    For legacy encoding of Emoji characters, most of that data is transient in nature (SMS messages) or is email sitting on a server belonging to the mobile provide who defines that proprietary extension to Shift-JIS. They already manage all the data coming into or going out of their environment.

    Peter