Re: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin->arabic

From: busmanus (busmanus.lk@freemail.hu)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2004 - 19:15:16 CDT

    Philipp Reichmuth wrote:

    >> If we were starting from scratch today, we'd probably do better. (I
    >> hope we would retain the "v" sound in "Чайковский" instead of converting
    >> it to "f".)
    >

    > Except there is no "v sound", only an "f sound" in the Russian
    > pronunciation of Чайковский due to regressive assimilation.

    Just like in English or French, as far as I can perceive.
    The reason for spellings like "Stroganoff" for "Stroganov"
    is word-final devoicing in Russian, which is absent from
    French and at least much less marked in English, so it had
    to be denoted explicitly.

    Miert fizetsz az internetert? Korlatlan, ingyenes internet hozzaferes a FreeStarttol.
    Probald ki most! http://www.freestart.hu