Pronunciation of "Unicode"

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 16:07:21 EDT

"John H. Jenkins" wrote:

> [W]e can't agree on a pronunciation of "Unicode."

What are the usual alternatives? I used to say ['ju ni kowd], but my wife
complained that this made me sound like a hick, and I changed to ['ju n@ kowd].
Considering that the Unix text editor "vi" can be pronounced ['vi'ai], or
[vai] or even [sIks] ....

> And wouldn't be just *wonderful* to have a phonetic alphabet
> especially designed for English? Then we wouldn't have these
> problems. :-)

There are a variety of schemes for transcribing the IPA in ASCII.
See X-SAMPA (http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/x-sampa.htm), which is
used mostly by professionals, and "Kirschenbaum ASCII-IPA"
(http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Evan_Kirshenbaum/IPA/faq.html), mostly used on
Usenet. The above transcriptions use Kirschenbaum.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)